PRAWN AND CABBAGE ROLLS
- 1 packet of Xndo Zero Rice
- 200g fresh peeled prawn meat, deveined
- 250g minced meat, either pork, chicken or fish paste
- Handful of black fungus, soaked to soften and then chopped coarsely
- 3-4 tbsp frozen vegetables, thawed to room temperature
- 3-4 tbsp goji berries, soaked to reconstitute slightly
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sole fish powder
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (huadiao, shaoxing)
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
Drizzle Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup superior stock
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch or potato starch mixed with 2 tbsp water to form a slurry
- In a mixing bowl, place all the main ingredients (except Napa cabbage) and mix well.
- Set aside to marinate for 20-30 min
- Bring some water to a boil in a wok and lower flame to a simmer. Add a pinch of salt and a few drops of cooking oil.
- Blanch the napa cabbage leaves, 1-2 at a time in the simmering water very briefly (no more than 15s) until just soften. Drain and set aside to cool down slightly.
- Place a piece of blanched Napa cabbage on a clean chopping board, scoop a tbsp of filling ingredients and lay 2-3 prawns over, proceed to cover with another tbsp of filling ingredients.
- Roll tightly to form a cylinder.
- Repeat process with the remaining ingredients until used up
- Steam the cabbage rolls over high heat until thoroughly cooked through, between 12-15 min depending on the type of minced meat used.
- Drain slightly and set aside to cool down. Cut the cabbage rolls into halves or thick slices if the rolls are too big.
- To prepare the drizzle sauce, pour superior stock, oyster sauce, light soya sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil and add some goji berries.
- Pour egg white over the surface of the stock mixture and let it set for 15-20s before using a spatula to gently break it up.
- Pour corn starch slurry over the stock mixture and stir well until nicely thickened.
- Drizzle the superior stock over the cabbage rolls and serve immediately.
Recipe by Alan Goh from Singapore Home Cooks