Tomato Cheesy Baked Rice Recipe
Melted cheese, juicy tomatoes, fluffy low-GI rice.. always a crowd-pleaser!
- 1 pouch of ZERO RICE
- 1 egg
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 30ml low fat milk
- 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus extra for top
- 1/2 tsp freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp chopped basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Butter a casserole dish.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, saute onions with 1 tsp of olive oil and cayenne until translucent. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk and egg.
- Add the cheese, ZERO RICE, parsley, thyme, basil and combine well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish, put sliced tomatos on rice and top with extra shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and serve piping hot.
Options: Use a mix of cheeses for extra oomph! You can even make this ahead of time (prepare up till step 4) and pop this into the oven for a quick, yummy meal!